Thursday, February 28, 2019

I Like #104

Welcome to two years of I like posts!  It's hard to believe it, but this marks 2 years (or at least 104 weeks) of posting.  I've missed a couple, but really not very many.  It feels great to me-  I'm not much of a journaler, but I think this is sort of turning into one.

1.  You guys!!  My cactus seeds are sprouting!  I'm so super excited.  I hope they will keep growing!  These are the ones I harvested from a barrel cactus fruit my dad picked while we were hiking out in Arizona.  I have lots more seeds and was going to plant them every few months to see when they grew best, but I'm just happy a few from the first batch sprouted.  Now I think I have to be careful not to over-parent them.


2. The pups are so fun.  Bentley managed to get the chair before Blue a few times this week, and I thought he looked cute all twirled up.  My sweet!  Blue and I are doing well in reactive dog class,  we had another real dog there last week and he was so much calmer on the leash than in the past, mostly I think because I had a handful of ham, but it was certainly progress.



3.  I started a new commission this weekend, it's a banner for my sister's children's Montessori school.  Unfortunately, I realized after spending all afternoon piecing the border that I forgot to reverse the color placement.  The border is a liturgical calendar, and now it goes counter-clockwise instead of clockwise.  I was so angry, I'd used up several of my last bits of good silk.  There wasn't any way to pick it out or anything because of the shape of the pieces, but after calming down, my mom offered to send me some of her green silks, and now I'm starting over.  In the end it will be ok,  I'll use the backwards one in a quilt of my own, and I know some things I want to do differently this next time (in addition to piecing it the right direction).  


I actually think that using some of the greens my mom sent, which are brighter more liturgical-ordinary-time greens than some of the sagey ones I had will be better anyway.


4.  It's been cold and icy here lately, but I did get to go unexpectedly to the Ballet last weekend.  I don't usually go to the ballet, but a friend had a last minute extra ticket (for really good seats), so I went with her.  It was lovely,  they did La Sylphide which was very visually striking, but kind of a weird story.

I hope all of you are staying warm and having a good week!  Click over to LeeAnna's for good things to like!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! WHAT?!! I can't believe the cactus are growing from seeds successfully. How cool is that?! You'll have to share a photo now and then about how they're doing. I am very interested to see this. Of course I also enjoy seeing the pups. Bentley doesn't even look like he's gloating over Blue with the chair securement. I think I may have - just saying. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great people in your life...a Mom who shares fabric and a friend who shares ballet tickets. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cactus seeds. Neat! How frustrating to have sewn all that backwards. Look forward to seeing what you come up with, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of good things here. Sprouting seeds is miraculous and sewing a liturgical banner, wow. And lessons learned and two great pups to come home to after an evening of ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to grow cactus from seeds! If anyone can do it, you can! Love the photo of your pup on the chair - it says "Mo-o-o-om! Do you have to take another picture of me?!" :) Good luck working on the piece for your sister' kids' school. It looks like it will be very special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That liturgical banner looks very complicated. I have never sewn with silk but that sounds complicated, too. Do you need to use silk thread, I wonder? Your pups look like they are used to Mom taking photos and stop and pose. My grand pup likes to get into photos I take of my grand darling. Just wants to be included in the family. My hubby once grew african violets from seed but we have never thought of growing cactus, Only inside ones of both here in the cold northeast. I am enjoying visiting other places in the Thursday travels into Friday ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. How neat to be growing cactus from seeds. Can't wait to see the progress on it. Sorry about the banner problems, glad it is going to work out for you. Lucky you to get to go unexpectedly to the ballet! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, this is the first time I've heard of anyone growing cactus from seeds. That's neat. I've been experimenting with cuttings and get all excited when some make it. Best of luck with your seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ALWAYS admire your quilts. That one is imaginative and glowing, but it must have bitten to notice the color placement! Great that you now have a starter silk piece for yourself! I want to come to that training, to get Milo to leave critters when I want him to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the cactus from seeds! Those greens from your mom are so beautiful. That's a cool pattern you've made for the banner.

    ReplyDelete