Thursday, May 16, 2019

I like #116

Someday this space will be filled with more arty goodness and tales of my quilts, but for know just another week of things to like.

Last Thursday night I actually remembered to go to the monthly Fiber Artists of Oklahoma meeting.  The guest was young local kirigami artist and painter Malcom Zachariah (@lakshwadeep on instagram).  He brought some of his small pieces and gave a lovely talk about papercutting.  He followed up with a little demo and then we got to dive in!  He makes lots of animals, and walked us through creating some.  The top two pics are one of his abstract pieces while the bottom two are a a bird and a stegasaurus I cut during the event.  It was really fun and freeing.  Definitely check out his work.








 My flowers are all too little to be blooming, but one of my generic bushes has flowers on it!  I don't think I've ever seen flowers on it before (or possibly just not noticed), but I was so excited!  They're pretty and white!  I'm not sure what kind of bush this is, but it makes me happy it's blooming.


I had to take a break from my office the other day so I took a stroll around campus.  It was really a beautiful spring day, and I loved the view of the big round water feature (it's a bit hard to see but is that dark low thing in the middle).  It makes such a pleasant sound as it bubbles everywhere (even though it is a campus hot point due to costs associated with maintaining it).


We're having the baby shower at work today for the lady whose quilt I showed last week or the week before.  I made another cake and thank goodness this time Blue didn't try any.  I was going for sheep, but I think they look a bit more like albino lions.  Oh well.  Also, I had some leftover yellow frosting I'd frozen from the last cake-- this is what happens if you accidentally over microwave while thawing.  It was this crystallized explosion.  Weird.




Tomorrow morning I leave on a trip to Scotland.  My nephew has discovered Flat Stanley,  a paper cut out carrier who travels the world, and he asked me if I would take a Flat Stanley on my trip.  Here she is, all neon and rainbow, ready to have her picture taken traveling throughout the highlands!  Obviously any Flat Stanley traveling with me was going to be brightly colored. Wish me luck everyone, I hope my knees don't collapse!



I'll most likely be out the next couple of weeks, but I'll see you guys in June.  For now, click on over to LeeAnna's for more positivity!

7 comments:

  1. WOW Shannon!!! That fiber/paper artwork is AMAZING. How incredibly cool - thank you for sharing. AND, even more importantly, have a fabulous time in Ireland. Flat Stanley is so fun - I did that on several trips and it is about time to implement again. I cannot wait to see those pictures. Aww, the pups are going to miss you and you them but it will be so sweet to see them again when you get back. ~smile~ Roseanne P.S. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flat Stanley! I loved that story as a kid! What a kick she's coming with you. Those paper cutouts are fantastic. The marshmallow lions are cute. And I am impressed with your frosting microwave failure. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The paper cutting is awesome. Your walk is gorgeous, even if you needed to go for a time out. Flat Stanley how fun. Have a great time. Your cake is cute, LOL I agree a wee bit lionish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy - Scotland! Have a wonderful time, Shannon! We'll look forward to what you and Flat Stanley share when you get back. Your cake looks adorable, and the paper-cutting looks like fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful trip! Your likes are spectacular today and love those paper sculptures. Have a great trip! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to see pictures and hear about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. flat stanley! hahahahaha. the cake looks yummy with lions, er, sheep. That paper artist is so inventive!! I know you had some takeaway ideas...

    ReplyDelete