Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Fierce Planets- Finished

 When I left off yesterday, I had cut off a bunch of the purple background on my Fierce Planets quilt and decided I hated it.  Of course.  Big sigh.  I had turned and finished all the edges using a bunch of bias tape that had been kindly destashed to me (thanks Mary Alice), and there really was no easy way to add the background back on.  But I really wanted it back so I decided to do a sort of open work approach.  To add some movement to the piece, like a big planet explosion.  I laid it out and drafted some new edges for each little piece.


I finished all the new edges.


Then using my dissolvable floriani stabilizer I quilted across the individual pieces using monofilament thread.  Of course I don't have any pictures of that (facepalm).  After stitching well across all the pieces, I dissolved the stabilizer and blocked it out.  

Here's the final piece,  named "Wild Thing".  It wound up finishing at 43" x 64".  The artist statement reads: "The axis of rotation of Uranus is tilted over 90 degrees from its revolution axis, and its magnetic axis also has a large tilt relative to its rotation axis. I imagine Uranus as the crazy bouncy child, the one who brings chaos wherever she goes; the one who breaks all the rules and succeeds anyway. She is someone who opens our eyes to all the weird and wonderful different ways things can be."


Wild Thing, c. 2023, Shannon Conley













This one was like pulling teeth, but I got it done and am generally pleased with the outcome.


1 comment: