Friday, August 17, 2012

Follow the yellow brick road...

All the way to Yellowstone!  Mike left on the bike early this morning and I'm flying to meet him in Casper tomorrow.   Amy at Diary of a Quilter just got back from Yellowstone and made me even more excited!  It's been a busy, emotional summer and I'm grateful for a chance to be somewhere else, thinking about something else.  Especially a somewhere else as beautiful as Yellowstone and the Tetons.

The monsters will miss us I'm sure, but my good friend Justin will be housesitting so they'll be well looked after.  Of course, none of them wanted to have their picture taken this afternoon, so we have Missy with her trademark stinkeye look  (try to take her for a walk, I dare you); Bullett who's only interested in scratching an itch, and Bentley who is making the weirdest dog face ever.  Nuts.  Of course, when they think no one is watching, they rule the world from on top of the patio table, but try to get more than an iphone pic through the window and off they go.





Before I left, I just wanted to pop in and share a couple of quick pictures of the baby quilt I made for the fair (to be donated afterwards).  I just used some fun fabrics from my stash- even though it's blue-toned I think it would work for a boy or a girl.  I originally bought the owl fabric to make a minky blanket for Kenda's new mini-man, but it got bleach spots in the pre-wash so I had to use frogs on the blanket for her.

Luckily, I was able to avoid the bleach spots and cut out enough squares for this little quilt.  I decided to do a fully machine sewn binding to make it extra sturdy, so I initially sewed down the binding on the back and then flipped it around and top-stitched on the front.  I used a 2.5" strip, and I promise a 1/4" seam allowance sewing it onto the back, but I wound up with tons of extra binding on the front!  Yowza!  I suppose it might have been a scant 1/4" and the batting is pretty thin, but goodness!  It almost looks like a whole extra narrow border instead of a binding.  I actually like the framing effect it gives, but the quilt police would hate me for sure.




I hope a little baby somewhere will be happy with the cute owls!  I'm so excited for summer to (hopefully) be almost over, Fall is my very favorite season.  Hope you guys are looking forward to it too!

Edit:  I'm linking up to 100 Quilts for Kids.  What a great idea!


3 comments:

  1. Have fun on your trip! Your quilt is cute, and the quilt police are irrelevant when it comes to a charity quilt. And my guy loves the frog blanket. He is in the chewing in everything phase, so the ribbon s are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOO jealous! I want to go there so bad. Hubby is not so excited....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bleach accident sounds terrible! I hate when stuff like that happens. Quilt police or no, I agree. I like the extra wide binding on this. Thanks for linking up to 100 Quilts for Kids!

    ReplyDelete