Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April Goal Setting: Orchard Quilt

The dreaded March is over (I hope everyone had a glorious Easter), and I still feel bewildered and not-in-my-groove blog wise.  I've been doing quite a bit of quilting, but not as much writing about it.  Last week, I wrote a WIP: Wednesday post and forgot to link it up.  Over the weekend, I was going to write a follow-up post for my March "A Lovely Year of Finishes" and couldn't remember what my March goals had been.  When I went back to check on the blog I realized I'd never gotten around to setting goals for March (no wonder I couldn't remember what they were).  And then Monday morning, I remembered that it was the deadline for the artist contract and catalog photos for the Text Messages show, but couldn't find the contract anywhere.  After sending a panicked e-mail to the very nice curator about it, she re-sent the contract and I realized it had been attached to the original e-mail (which was still in my inbox) the whole time and that I was just an idiot.  So, definitely not-in-my-groove.

In an attempt to rectify this, I hereby set the following April goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes:

Finish the orchard quilt.

Over the last couple of weeks I finished quilting my Sierra Blanca mountain quilt (hopefully a post on that will be coming), and over the weekend started working on the orchard quilt as well as a warm sort-of-whole-cloth thing that I'll also share sometime soon.

You may remember when last we saw it the orchard was just some disparate painted trees and background. After some consultation with my mom, I planned the composition and over the weekend pieced together the foreground.  I also tiled the background; this is a technique we learned in Gloria Loughman's class that I'd wanted to try.  The sky was cut up from the piece of fabric I painted in the class and I laid out the pieces in a tumbling block/star pattern.  For now they're just fused, but will be sewn down during quilting.




Up next, the trees!

I'm going to link up with Fiber of All Sorts of course, but also with the lovely Lee over at WIP: Wednesday (if I remember this time-sigh).  Happy quilting to all!

7 comments:

  1. When I see lovely painted fabric like yours I am tempted...but it seems quilting has so many stages already that I hesitate to add another. I feel the same about spinning added to knitting. Still, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stunning! Really really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is lovely! I look forward to seeing it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it so far! The sky is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. Wow. There is a serene spirituality in this piece - I can't wait to see it develop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just wondering. Those cubes have raw edges? Love the look!

    ReplyDelete