Many thanks to all those who offered their condolences about my wretched holes! The Bo-Nash powder was great- it worked exactly as it promised, however, even with the patch, you can still sort of see the holes. I'm hoping some judicious quilting will help.
Anyway, I moved on. I went ahead and marked the background for quilting prior to taking the quilt top off my design wall since last time I didn't do it until after it was layered and basted and the puffiness from the batting was a pain to mark over.
I've also now successfully quilted all of the animals to the first layer of batting. I'm doing this one just like my last one in this respect. I quilted the animals only on the first layer of batting, and then when I add the second layer of batting and ditch quilt around the appliques/stitch down the background, the animals should puff up nicely. Many of them are just too big to go without any stitching, and I like the extra detail it provides, but it's more fun if they puff up. I'm taking it to my mom's over Thanksgiving to baste all the layers together on her longarm- makes it so much easier to quilt on my home machine.
The big birds in the four corners are all quilted with different metallic threads, which makes me happy.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!