Monday, July 16, 2018

Neon Shawl

You may remember I've shared a couple of in progress pictures of my neon shawl, and I spent quite a bit of time a couple weekends ago finishing it up.  I was working from the Hotel of Bees Shawl Pattern

From Ravelry- Hotel of Bees Shawl
 I used this great neon sock weight yarn from Tricked Out Ewe, and after gauging, went up a hook size.

After finishing, I blocked it on my guest bed where I could pin it out flat.  Usually I block quilts on my big design wall, but the shawl was very light and airy and I didn't want it to pull weirdly when wet and hung vertically.  After blocking, I quickly pinned it to the design wall so you can see it against the white background.





One of the downsides to going up a hook size and down a yarn size is that the whole thing has a more open structure.  That's good in the sense that it's a summer shawl, but it does make parts of the pattern a bit hard to see (like the small hexagons in the multi-color part below).


Overall the pattern was well written and easy to follow.  I enjoyed working on it, it was varied enough not to be boring, but not so complicated to be stressful.  And it was really nice that you start on the wide end and crochet towards the narrow end so it gets quicker as you go!  I really really love the yarn, and have enough left to make something else, but I'm not sure what.  Possibly leg warmers or crochet scrunchy socks?  That would be pretty 80s....







No comments:

Post a Comment