Monday, January 21, 2019

Knitted Shawl

I started the Butterfly Papillon Shawl on our Thanksgiving trip to Florida, and it was fairly slow going at first.  My mom and I were working on it together but even though it was garter stitch, the pattern is created using short rows which I'd never done before.  We both ripped out a lot before I finally figured out how the pattern was supposed to fit together.  The pattern is really well written,  all difficulties were just due to my inexperience as a knitter, and I'd definitely recommend it.

It was to be a Christmas gift for my sister and after spending two full days on the way to Florida knitting in the car (this pic was after the first day of knitting) I realized I'd have to step it up a bit if I was to finish in time for Christmas.

I spent most of December knitting feverishly, and of course the rows got faster as I figured out what I was doing then slowed way back down as the whole thing got very large.  I did finish, almost at the last minute, and my kind friend Melody lent me her blocking mats and nice blocking wires so none of my stitches got spread out.  



It was a bit dark here because it was still wet.  It finished 72 inches wide by about 40 inches long.






I think it turned out beautifully, I had Mike take some pictures of me in it before I wrapped it up for Becky.  And then she got to wear it sooner than we thought when a New Year's Eve wedding in Tucson turned cold and rainy.  She said it was very warm (the yarn is superwash wool) and it draped beautifully.  I loved knitting it, and may make another one for me, but I'm taking a bit of a break from knitting for a little while I think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment