Monday, January 6, 2020

Lord's Prayer Finished

Welcome back to the final post on my Lord's Prayer quilt!  You can find the first post about making it here.  

I love this quilt so much, mostly because working on it was so full of memories of Linda and her music.  I love the rich colors, although it's a bit darker than I thought, and very hard to take pictures of.  I'm pleased with the quilting too, especially in the interlocking borders and the little doohickeys surrounding the text.  It has lots of fun fabrics: metallics, velvets, microsuedes, and all sort of other things.

However, I don't think I really captured the joy and groundswell of emotion I feel when singing the music.  I think that's partly because the colors wound up so dark.  I also think it has to do with the number of words.  One thing that's been a challenge in this liturgical series is how many words I have to include.  In many cases, I've used only snippets of prayers or bible verses, but here I really wanted to use the whole prayer (and music).  I think to really capture the joy I feel singing Linda's music, I need to do a more abstract quilt inspired by my feelings while singing, rather than something incorporating the text itself.    Another one of the anthems Linda composed has the love text from Corinthians, and I think that will be something I use for a more abstract musical inspired piece in future.   Unfortunately, I probably won't get to it for a while, there are two other liturgical quilts that will have to come before that as well as a bunch of pieces for shows I'm already committed to this year.  Oh well!  Always more ideas than time!  

Enjoy the pictures of this piece though,  I really do smile every time I see it!
Our Father, c. 2019 Shannon Conley, 73" x 53", photo by Mike Cox.








6 comments: