Thursday, January 23, 2020

I Like #148

This has been a very chaotic and emotional week.  My grandfather passed away late last week, and while he was very elderly and we were lucky that his children got to be there with him, it was still very sad, and I'm worried about my grandma.  I'm going home to New Mexico tomorrow for the funeral.  We also have a bunch of big deadlines coming up at work and various other things happening so it's been crazy all around. 

There are still things to like though!

1.  I finally got around to posting my 2019 project roundup this week, so if you're interested, click on over here.  It feels like 2019 stretched back a long way, I'd actually forgotten some quilts, like this one below, were 2019 finishes.


2. I quilted a little last weekend on some quilt sandwiches that are destined to be more 3D pieces.  This was supposed to be the back, but I love the colors, so maybe it'll turn out to be the front.  The second one was a piece of fabric Georgia painted that I found in a box.  I love being able to use things I find unexpectedly in my stash.



\

 3.  The winter sun shining through my euphorbia made me smile.


4.  In another box from Georgia I found a very large (~7-8 feet long by 2.5 feet wide) piece of her handwoven material.  It's so soft and snuggly, I decided to just put a satin binding on it and use is as a fancy wrap.  It's actually a little too long I think, I may cut off part of it and re-edge that section to use for something else. I'm so glad this will be out and used, her weaving is just lovely.



5. I canceled a bunch of social stuff this week, just too much going on, but I did make a point to go to a free workshop offered by Oklahoma artist Nick Lillard.  He does really cool large sculpture, painting, and experimental installation pieces, but this workshop was on plastic sculpting using milk bottles.  I'm always looking for ways to provide lightweight infrastructure to 3D pieces, so I jumped on the opportunity.  We had a lot of fun, and he and the other artists at the Colaboratory were really generous with their time and help.  We did a lot of playing around with how you can work with these materials.

An example of how you can assemble the milk jugs.

one of Nick's paintings I fell in love with

I played around with assembling bits and making little frills.

6.  My amaryllis is blooming. I had no idea what color it would be and never would have predicted pink and white.  I love it!



Click on over to LeeAnna's for more good things to like!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! That class looks so interesting, and what cool things you made from the simple milk jug. Your amaryllis is so pretty and delicate looking. Lovely! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. From reading your blog, I know how close your family is, and I'm sure he will be missed very much. I'm so impressed you found things to like this week anyway! That does sound like a very interesting class- I would never think to use milk jugs to create art with. Your amaryllis is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I am so sorry for your loss. Have a safe trip, and enjoy the time with the family and grandma. Your quilting is fabulous. The plant is awesome, and I am just speechless looking at your invasive species quilt. I harp on people all the time about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the chaos and sadness ease up. You did a lot in 2019! And I like your latest quilting. How interesting playing with milk bottles like that. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending hugs and sympathy on the loss of your grandfather. Keeping you and your family in my prayers! As always, I love seeing your projects and your process--milk bottles? Wow, you are such a creative force. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hope you have safe travels to New Mexico, and that your grandma can get through the transition to this new season of life without too much stress. Looks like you had a fun time at that workshop; there was some pretty creative stuff going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those milk jugs... the amarylis is so pretty I want to paint it

    ReplyDelete