Thursday, August 13, 2020

I Like #176

 Welcome to another week of things to like.  It's been a tough week at work here, but there are still good things to share!  For one thing, I finally started working on another big art quilt; I've really struggled the last two months with being motivated and feeling creative enough to start something big.  I'm not sure how successful this piece will be but it feels good to at least have started something.  It's going to be another sculpted piece, so one of the first tasks is quilting it.  I'm committing myself to quilting at least one full bobbin each evening, and it's good to see measurable progress.  Picking quilting threads to go with my fabric is always one of my favorite parts.

Another thing I've been liking recently is the Textile Talks.  These are weekly live video-webinars (with Q&A) that are hosted and organized by a consortium of fiber arts groups including SAQA, the San Jose Quilt and Textile Museum, the International Quilt Museum in Nebraska, and the Modern Quilt Guild, among others.  You don't have to be a member to watch them, and they've been really really fascinating. One of the most recent ones was on the phenomenal swing coats of Patricia A Montgomery.  Each quilted coat features the story of a less well-known woman who was instrumental in the civil rights movement.


The Mentor c. 2015

Daisy Bates, Little Rock, Arkansas, Patricia A Montgomery


To find out more about Patricia A. Montgomery, click here 

To see information on how to watch the Textile Talks live, click here

To watch all the previously aired Textile Talks on YouTube, click here


I like this cute mask my technician made me!  I prefer masks with ties (rather than ear loops) but the polka dot combined with the adorable knitting patch are just too cute.



One not so great thing this week-  I have been struggling with a mouse infestation in the house and garage.  I'm not squeamish but I really don't want them inside.  I think they moved in after they chewed through a tasty bag of birdseed in the garage.  I had set bunches of snap traps (I won't use sticky traps or poison), but they kept just eating the peanut butter and not getting caught- apparently my mice are really late.  I spent all weekend cleaning and sealing cracks, and have finally got some traps that seem to catch them, so I think I'm making progress.  I found this little guy in the shower on Saturday, but at least I was able to catch and euthanize him.  It's very aggravating, they seem to be able to sneak through very tiny openings.



I found a recipe for a blueberry bundt cake in the NYT this week.  The cake turned out to have a sort of pound cake texture, it was tasty, but I found it a bit dry, and the icing overly sweet.  I think I'll change the recipe a bit if I make it again.


The flowers are still going, makes me happy to see them.



Bentley was not sure whether what was going on in the backyard was interesting enough to warrant coming all the way outside.


Blue always just wants to go in the studio.  He pushes right past you on the way.  This plant is some type I got on the clearance rack at lowes a few weeks ago when it was almost dead.  I'm not sure what it is, but it's flourishing now and has some pretty tiny yellow flowers blooming.



I hope everyone has a good week!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like!


14 comments:

  1. Ooh, look at that cake and those flowers!! I love them.
    I suppose you could say you love catching mice lol. We had a real mouse problem until we got a cat. We never see mice now EVER! She stays outside even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable mask but I really like your glasses!!! Blue is a true shop dog... mice, ick ick ick.
    I liked seeing the little cake holder... reminds me of the 60's and tupperwear cake carriers because we all took food to parties. gotta check out the lectures, thanks for that. Godspeed with the new projects...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute mask. Rats are so gross. Enjoy your new project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your mask is cute! Ties are more comfortable than earl oops if you wear them all day,
    Eew on the mice. I'm no expert...but a cat would probably help. Hope you get a handle on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing as Judy - you need a cat! Do you think the pups would allow it? :) Your flowers are pretty and great job reviving that clearanced plant, too. I'm always impressed with green thumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a seriously cool mask. Bad little mice!!!! That blueberry frosting is quite a potent color! Beautiful flowers, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEK on the mice. How do they get by the doggies?! Just sayin' - they should be on that. HAHA - I love the non-commitment of Bentley. He just wasn't sure if it was worth his while to go all the way outside! I love it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shannon, I feel your pain with the mice. My mother had an infestation several years ago and they made such a mess of things in her basement. She got help from a pest control company. The guy found a couple of places where they may have been getting in and put steel wool in the holes. He said the mice hate chewing on metal as much as we do. She hasn't had a mouse since. (Fingers crossed!) As for your cake, I can't get over the gorgeous color of that frosting! Whooey! That's blueberries for you! Loved the pictures of your dogs. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy to the cake. Eeeew to the mice! That is one sweet mask and such lovely flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, bird seed is a draw for mice. I have ours in special aluminum bins and even the raccoon couldn't get into it. If you have an attached garage, they will get into the house. Here the garage is not attached so that's a help. You'll have to do your best to get rid of every last one, though they are kind of cute.
    What a cute mask! And cute cake as well. Isn't it great to have the flowers...always a pleasure to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no mice. The great uncle's house next door had a mice problem that took Jeff and I 2 years to get under control. The kids are having the same problem now. With all the cats, you would think the mice would find somewhere else to reside. I am happy they stay the 500 feet away from my house! Cute mask. What an awesome coat. Thanks for the links. I think we all seem to be struggling with our creativity lately. You make gorgeous projects though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that coat. Thanks for letting us know about Textile Talks! I'd be screaming if I saw a mouse in my house. Haha! I saw your quilt at the Online Quilt Festival. Congratulations! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just checked out your quilt in the Festival, Shannon. Beautiful! I've been intrigued by this VLA transmitter since watching the movie Contact many years ago. One of these days....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are sweet eyeglasses. Very chic! I love your work.

    ReplyDelete