Thursday, August 20, 2020

I Like #177

 This week has been fine.  With everything going on in the world right now, I'll take fine as a win!


As always, there are things to be grateful for.

The dahlias are going well, and after a few really hot days, we're back to a really really unexpected cool streak.  Temps here have been in the high 80s/low 90s, about 10-15 degrees cooler than normal this week.  More importantly, it's been getting unexpectedly cool in the evenings/nights and last night it was cool enough to sit outside and stitch on my back porch.  Of course this comes at a time when many places far north of us are having massive heat waves, so the crazy just continues.



One less than exciting thing-  the pups have now completely completely destroyed the footstool.  Long time blog readers will know this is a recurrent problem,  This time it had been out for two weeks without being molested and then after two days of tearing up, it is completely destroyed.  This was after I came home late on  day one, day two was ten times worse.  I guess I really have to give up on both this footstool and the idea of having one in the living room.  Alas.

Other than unstuffing things, my pups are fine, but I didn't take any pics of them this week.  I did get this snap of Logan; he's a gorgeous service dog belonging to a student currently working in my lab.  He can't go in the lab when we have mice in there, so for those short periods he has to stay in my office.  He's wonderful.


I saw this sign on my colleague's lab door.  It made me laugh, so many things in science are like this, but we all keep trying!



I finished knitting my latest project this week.  I still need to block it but I'll do a full post on it after I do that.  It had a new-to-me crocheted bind off that I liked.

I have some knitting projects I'm thinking about starting, but in the meanwhile I'm working on embroidery and hand stitching during zoom meetings.  I've finished all the small embroideries for the summer reading and stitching club, and now I'm hand piecing them together using EPP.  I made that little bag for my camera a few years ago, but now that I never take my camera anywhere, it's the perfect size for a carry along project.


I was excited to send my Lord's Prayer quilt off to the Liturgical and Sacred Art show in Springfield IL.  This got rescheduled from the spring and I'm just so glad it wasn't cancelled (like so many other things have been).


I've been listening to more Dresden files books this week (by Jim Butcher).  I ran out of things that I was in the mood to read, and I knew there were several of those I hadn't read, so it was fun to get back to them this week.  They're a lot of fun, the main character is a wizard detective in modern Chicago.



I hope everyone is staying safe!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more stuff to like!


12 comments:

  1. poor bored doggies.... tearing stuff up... I like the science quote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon, love the dahlias and so sorry about your footstool. Murphy has cost me money because she enjoyed chewing library books when she was young. She also destroyed a number of slippers; oddly she still likes to carry them around in her mouth but no longer chews them.
    Love the colours of your shawl and your clever camera bag. Also of course, love the embroidery pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice camera case! Those dahlias are just beautiful. Can’t wait to see the finished crochet-love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dahlias have been so pretty this year! And your footstool - oh no! It must look like a giant stuffy toy to the pups. The lab quote is a hoot, and love the pretty colors of your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dahlias are so cheery! Oh no, bad puppies! That must hate that you are gone to work! We haven’t had a dog for several years, so no advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dahlias are fabulous. The pups are punishing you. LOL Um Bobbin has been known to do similar things. Love the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dahlias are amazing. Who would have guessed a footstool would be such a doggy toy? How nice to send off the quilt to a real show! Dresden! I've been awaiting the latest novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete

  8. Such pretty flowers! I, too, love the Dresden Files (and other things Jim Butcher has written). I think I have them all. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you have the dahlias to enjoy after seeing that mess the dogs made. Had to chuckle at the science quote. Haven't heart of Jim Butcher, so will check him out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting is inspiring - loved it! I also loved your quote about theory and practice - so true for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings Shannon! I'm catching up on blogs a bit late but loved your post! Naughty pups! I wonder why they hate the ottoman or do they think it is a big toy? Love your dahlias, love your seeing your quilt progress! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry about your footstool! Your flowers are gorgeous and wow! That sign made me laugh! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete