Friday, November 4, 2022

New Quilt: Ice 2

 Last week I shared a couple of posts about a new quilt I made based on the phase diagram for ice.  I mentioned that I'd cut out the crystal structures on my silhouette cutter and of course, when you do that, there's always the inside and the outside.  I wound up using the "inside" or "negatives" for the first quilt (below), but I saved the "outside" or "positives" (second picture) for a second piece!



in the original piece the background was a solid piece of white, but for this one I fused the blue/green crystal pieces down onto a variety of purple and brown fabrics from my stash and then pieced them together.  I love all the extra visual interest that comes from having multiple colors of background fabrics.  And it's also interesting to see how different some of the cute pieces look on these backgrounds vs. the ones above. 

As always I quilted in lots of fun colors- I love using bright and contrasting threads in my quilting. As in the prior piece the edges of the crystal sections didn't come together perfectly so I couched down some wonderful fuzzy purple yarn between sections.  It's the same yarn I used to finish the edges and I think serves to bring the whole thing together.  The yarn is actually a recent addition to my stash, my friend Gail de-stashed it into my collection when she saw me in Santa Fe.  I guess I seemed like someone who needed fuzzy purple yarn and I can attest that that is true!  Thanks Gail!


I was initially going for a color scheme of purple and blue, but lots of the cut crystal shapes trended more toward gray or gray green,  and many of the purple fabrics in my stash trended toward brown.  The resulting color scheme is a little non-traditional, but I think it's interesting and I like it even more than the first white/blue one.






I really enjoyed being able to make two pieces with the same cut fabric and not having to waste all the leftovers that come off the silhouette.  I have several bins of little bits of fusible backed fabric that resulted from that and it's so nice to use 100% of the cutting material sometimes!  



1 comment: