Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Phase Diagram: Ice-Finished

Last week I shared about my new quilt based on the ice phase diagram.  Here's where we left off last time- all the different crystal structures fused down ready to be quilted.  I quilted each section  with a different pattern and color of thread including lots of brigh and rainbow colors.  As a final step, I couched yarn down between each section.  I thought it needed a visual barrier to separate each section, some of them were running together and leading to a jumbled feeling and I think the yarn outlines the spaces nicely.  In addition the edges of each different crystal section didn't line up exactly so couching down the yarn was a good way to cover that up.






And here's the final piece!  The top white section is the region of the phase diagram associated with liquid water, so I filled it with quilting that felt flowy as well as continued quilting patterns from some of the adjacent crystal sections.

Phase Diagram: Ice, 38" x 37", Shannon Conley, c. 2022




I love the way this turned out, another nerdy science quilt for me!

1 comment:

  1. Really, really pretty. I love the colors and all the different patterns. Such a cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete