Thursday, September 13, 2018

I Like #83

This was a week overlapping my trip to my parents' and the return home which is always crazy.  Still lots of things to like!

1.  I like visiting my home church!  I got to go to church with my folks and sing with my dad in the choir.  I didn't get any pictures of the church but I did snap a photo of this new church banner my mom made with some help from the ladies in the church.  It's for the consecration of the new Bishop soon and depicts our church's front window.



2.  Apples and veggies!  I picked so many apples and veggies, some for my mom and some to bring back with me.  Since I got back I've dealt with almost all the veggies, roasting the peppers, making refrigerator pickles, salsa to freeze with the tomatoes, grating a bunch of zucchini to freeze, and making zucchini bread with the some more of the zucchini.  I still have butternut squash, yellow squash, more zucchini, tomatoes, and green beans to eat fresh or do something with but I made progress!  You can see a mid-size zucchini in the garden snap below and some pictures from apple picking in their orchard!  Bentley and Blue came to hang out with me while I picked apples-  they didn't help much though...






3.  Apple butter!  This one gets its own entry.  I brought back lots of apples, and have started putting them up this week.  I don't much like applesauce but I love apple butter.  I've made two batches this week, I cook the fruit in the evening, then leave it to roast overnight in the oven with the spices and sugar, then can it before work in the morning.  I think 18 jars is plenty for this year, and I think they came out well!  Apple butter is so much easier to make/can than jelly....



4.  I love New Mexico skies.  You just can't beat 'em.  


5. I loved spending time with my parents!  My dad went up with me to Santa Fe last Tuesday to hang our show at the Capitol, and then My mom went with me on Friday to the opening.  Here's a sneak peek at the opening,  check out this post to see more of the show.  There are some really great pieces by several different artists.  I also made a floating frame (like this one for the Missy quilt) for my mom's quilt of her dog Gibby.  Gibby was a black lab, but had the most stubborn personality ever, so she was nicknamed the Devil Dog and my mom made her bright red in the quilt.  I love the way her quilt came out, and you can see it this weekend at the Roswell quilt show if you're around there.  Love you Mom and Dad!








Thanks as always to LeeAnna for keeping us positive.  I hope fall is coming to wherever you live!




6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- you have been busy. That apple butter sounds good. It's been a long time since I've had that but it brings back good memories. Freezing grated zucchini? I didn't know that could be done. hmmm. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Shannon what a beautiful post.
    Your artwork is astounding, and I like your artist outfit and hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon! I love all the fruit and veggies you shared. I have never seen how zucchini grows!! Imagine that. And I didn't know this was the time of year for it, either. I'm going to stop at the farm stand on the way home tonight - I NEED to make some zucchini cupcakes or something. Bread! And I love and adore the photos of your parents and you, and the pups 'helping' you pick. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your apple butter looks wonderful! Those blue skies are beautiful. So are those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your parents enjoy having you around, too! All your fresh veggies sound delicious - my favorite are fresh green beans. I was just picking apples today, and trying to figure out what I can do with them. Maybe I should try some apple butter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos of Mom and Dad! All the wonderful goodness in the fresh veggies and fruit. Apple butter is a favourite of mine too. Gorgeous scenery, yes lots of positivity.

    ReplyDelete