Thursday, September 13, 2018

Off the Wall: Mixed Media Works Opening

You guys have heard me talk about this show for months and months, and it's finally open at the New Mexico State Capitol.  I was thrilled to be invited to participate by Betty Busby who organized it all.  Also thanks to Cynthia Sanchez,  the Capitol Art Director who provided the great venue.  The reception was well-attended, and I'm excited because the Capitol gets a lot of foot traffic.

Two of my big flowers were hung flanking the gallery entrance, and they make a great welcoming statement!


Most of the rest of my pieces are in the big center area just as you walk in.


This is one of Betty Busby's pieces-  it's gorgeous in person-  many delicate layers of color and shape, and I feel bad I didn't get a better shot.  I spent so much time visiting at the reception that taking pictures was something of an afterthought!


This is work by Susan Szajer (the organic wall piece on the left) and Nora Bebee (the really cool tree and the bird and nest sculpture).  This is a show where you definitely need to see it in person; there is so much depth, texture, and detail in all the work.



This triptych is another one of Nora Bebee's pieces,  she seems to love layering and holes and texture as much as I do!   The two sculptures next to the triptych were done by Mary Mattimoe,  she came over from England for the opening and it was great to see her.  Her sculptures were really cool- very light and airy.  I wish (again) that I'd gotten better pictures.  And down at the very far right end are two of Joshua Willis's pieces.  He works in all kinds of media, but I loved these quilt-like pieces,  they were very much non-traditional, but had a wonderful repetitive pattern that was really cool.



This piece is one of Judith Roderick's,  she's a silk painter and quilter, and I've always loved her work.  She and I were the primary representatives of the bright-color crowd at this show (hooray Judith!),  though there were some bright pieces by other artists.


More great work from the show,  artist names are listed in each from left to right.

Betty Busby, Susan Szajer, Mary Mattimoe, and Nora Beebe


Both of these are by Joshua Willis


These are three of Nora's pieces.  Just wonderful texture.


All of the participating artists except Sabrina Zarco made it to the opening, and it was great fun to see everyone.

From left to right:  Betty Busby, me, Judith Roderick, Nora Bebee, Joshua Willis, Mary Mattimoe, and Susan Szajer


And of course my mom and me

Also super exciting, Tracy, my good friend from college, came up from Albuquerque with her daughter Elena.  I don't get to see her very often and it was super fabulous that she made the trip up to Santa Fe.



Thanks so much to Betty for organizing this and to Cynthia for hosting it.  It's really a cool show, so if you're in Santa Fe any time between now and December 14th, stop in and see it!



I'm linking up with Nina-Marie and Off the Wall Friday!

5 comments:

  1. This is one show I would love to see in person, but Santa Fe is just a bit too far for me. Your pieces looked wonderful. Also love Betty Busby's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous blog post. This is a show I'd really like to see. Congratulations!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I have fond memories of a trip to Santa Fe for a SAQA conference, and seeing art quilts hung in the Capitol -- what a wonderful space. Your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful show!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Shannon! I saw LeeAnna's photo of QuiltFolk and I had the issue and have been reading backward in your blog to find this exhibit page. As a recent newcomer to the I like Thursday bloggers, I missed seeing this before today. Your quilts are amazing and I have enjoyed seeing bits and pieces of your creative process. Thank you for sharing ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete