Thursday, May 7, 2020

I Like #163

Welcome to another week of things to like.  Still sequestered at home, although our research labs are implementing phased opening next week, so starting Monday I'll be back in the lab more.

This week I discovered a quilt artist named Sarah Sharp, and was really drawn to this piece Winter Shadows
Sarah Sharp, Winter Shadows


I almost finished my latest illuminated quilt, and I'm so pleased with how it's turning out.  I still need to do a pocket and a label but hopefully I'll get to that soon.  I did the edge finishing in kind of a weird way, at some point I'll write a couple posts about the project, but here's a peek at the finished edge.

This bright pile of thread made me really happy this week; it was just what I'd gotten out as I quilted, but it looked so bright and cheerful.


One of the ladies who works in my lab is a new graduate student who is midway through getting a full sleeve arm tattoo of all nerdy science things.  I'm not a tattoo person particularly, but I am definitely a science nerd, and the artistry in her tattoos is pretty fabulous.  When I went into work earlier this week she showed me the newest section, a rat, and I fell in love with it.  


I like pies!  I made a lemon meringue pie for Mike to thank him for coming over to take pictures for me. I over-toasted the meringue, but I ate a piece before giving the rest to him and it was still tasty.


The pups are good!  Wonderful and snuggly!



My petunias are blooming like gangbusters and all my other plants are growing too.  I may need to dig some of the petunias out of the dog food sacks since I think they're crowding the dahlias.  I'll probably do that late this afternoon or tomorrow.  



I blogged this week about two projects I finished before quarantine (I had a huge backlogged of unblogged things), one was another kirigami quilt, and one was another wooden sculpture.  Click the links to see more about them.





I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like!

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! So many interesting pieces. Winter Shadows is like a painting. Just beautiful.
    Those threads are so brilliant-can’t wait to see the finished project. Dog food sacks are genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon!All of your projects look so wonderful. I am especially drawn to the last photo of your wooden sculpture. What a great idea to plant inside the food bags - very clever! I'm glad the pups are keeping you happy and sane, and getting back into the labs more sounds like progress. Take care. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter Shadows is impressive - all those lines. I can see why you like it. Look at all that shiny thread! -I'm in love. That looks like a rotund rat. lol I bet that pie was tasty. Good boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the winter shadows is amazing. Love the thread, reminds me of my embroidery thread. I like the dog food sacks, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much good stuff in this post. That stash of thread glows! I've been enjoying your projects as you post. The pie looks tasty and the pups are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Sarah's work...thanks for the link. Very creative.
    About your pie...delicious I'm sure. But I've been there and done that with the overbrowning. Now I always brown meringue with the oven door ajar so I can keep an eye on it.
    Baking is such a great hobby...and the eating of it is too good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh the babies! those widdle soft faces say so much. your flowers! awesome, that tatoo is commitment my friend! I'm not a tatoo person but wowie! I'm a science nerd too

    ReplyDelete