Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Kirigami #5: Sea Dragons

One of the things I really love about doing these kirigami quilts is that they satisfy my love of pattern, shape, and repetition, all things I love from traditional quilts, while being three-dimensional.

This next quilt was inspired by the colors and shapes of sea dragons,  I love watching them at aquariums, they look so much like plants!  Here's a picture of one I took in 2011 on a visit to the Monterrey Aquarium.


I loved the greeny-purple in their leaf-like fins, so took that idea and ran with it for this quilt.  

The fabric I painted was the same as that I used for the creepy-crawlie piece, only this time I put the red on the back and the green on the front.  I accented the green with purple shiva paintsticks to give color variety.  The cut and folded quilt is stitched down to a purple quilted background, I love the bright pops of quilting that stand out from the rest.  This one was especially hard to photograph, but we tried!


Kirigami #5: Sea Dragons, c. Shannon Conley, 2020, Photo, Doug Conley









No comments:

Post a Comment