Thursday, March 18, 2021

I like 205

Welcome to another week of things to like! While our friends in Colorado were dealing with the massive snowstorm (what a winter for extremes!) we had nice spring weather hear this weekend.  Yesterday and today have turned back cold and really crazy windy, but I guess that's just March for you!


I started cleaning up the "garden" outside this weekend and uncovered this delightful large toad!  He was huddling under some debris, but I was glad to see him!


The pups are good, they were enjoying sunning in the warm weather this weekend.  Spooky keeps eating things (ahem furniture) that don't belong to him, but is otherwise fine.


I made my donation quilt for the SAQA spotlight auction this weekend.  It's a great fundraiser for a great organization,  I'll post about it again once it goes live.  The quilts are 6x8 and bidding starts at just $20.  I started by printing out (on fabric) one of the micrographs I took of my grandpa's grass specimens from his lab notebook.  This one is a picture of the infertile spikelet of Andropogon scoparius.


I painted it with watercolors and then quilted it and couched sparkly thread over it.  I like the way it turned out!  I hope someone else likes it too.





I also finished some knitting this week and started new knitting!

I finished a pair of socks I'd been knitting this winter.  The legs and tops of the feet have a heart pattern on them but the yarn is so busy they're a little hard to see.  They're nice and cozy though so that's good!



Yesterday I shared this green quilt on instagram for St. Patricks day.  It's really more springy than St. Patrick's day, but I guess green is green.  It was one of my very early quilts from 2012, back when I was doing a lot of experiments with precision cut vinyl silk screens.  My work has become a bit less traditional since then, but I love the bright colors and quilting on this still.





I hope spring is coming for most folks and that our snowed in friends can unbury soon and stay warm in the meantime!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like!





6 comments:

  1. What fun to find a toad in your yard like that! The pups look like they're enjoying the sun. Your quilted version of your grandpa's speciman is fascinating, and love your green quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! Oh, those pups looks so cute sunning themselves. I can just feel how warm their coat is! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you stole that toads home. I bet it was a great heat sink for him. The pups look happy and content. Love your quilts, especially your green one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the way to enjoy the sunshine! Love those socks. And that quilt is magnificent! Really cool how the quilting colors it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your threadwork talents are wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing your horny toad discovery. Spring is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post and I really like your green quilt. Even more though I love your "grassy" quilt. That turned out amazing. I just finished a pair of socks that I'm looking forward to wearing soon. They still need to be blocked. Maybe that's all your new socks need to get those hearts stick out a bit better on your new socks?!?

    ReplyDelete