Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Solar Flare-finished

 

Earlier this week I shared the early steps of making my latest origami quilt structure, and I'm back today to share the finished piece.  After cutting and restitching all the pieces of the quilt that needed to be folds, I sculpted the quilt into its final form.  It's held together with hand stitching on the front and the back at places where multiple pieces or corners come together, but the whole thing still needed to be stiffened, so after supporting each petal with crumpled paper I coated the whole thing (front and back) with my trusted GAC400 fabric stiffener.  

The final piece is 31" x 31" x 7 ", always much smaller than the initial fabric (in this case it started about 52 x 60).  It's called Flare.

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox


Here you can see the back: it has two wooden supports in the one horizontal and one vertical.  It hangs from a wire suspended from the vertical slat.  I like the shape from the back too- I may use some of these fold patterns again in a future piece.


Here are some detail shots where you can see all the fun variety of thread.  I love that blue and orange sparkly thread- it's Ricky Tims Razzle Dazzle added via bobbin quilting.

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox

Flare, c. Shannon Conley, 2021, Photo: Mike Cox


Currently it's hanging on my dining room wall, but hopefully eventually it'll get to go out into the world and be seen by people in real life!






1 comment:

  1. What a wild looking piece. I think I like the back nearly as much as the front!

    ReplyDelete