Thursday, April 21, 2022

I Like #254

 Welcome to another week of things to like!

Before I start, I wanted to say I just realized that the service that usually emails me when I have blog comments hasn't been working for the past couple of months!  I thought I just hadn't been getting any comments but it turns out the notifications just weren't working!  I came to the actual blog for some reason the other day and saw several, and now I feel terrible for not having responded!  Thanks to everyone who has been commenting and I'll check now on the blog so I can reply to you all until I get this sorted out.

This was a crazy week, last Tuesday we learned that there was a huge forest fire right in my parent's town, so all week through until Easter we were in a constant state of worry about them and their community.  Finally over the weekend they started being able to get it contained, but it was devastating for so many (two fatalities and 200 homes lost).  It was a blessing that my parents were safe and did not have to evacuate.  We heard harrowing stories of those evacuating from Gavilan canyon (where the fire was the worst), truly racing for their lives.

Thursday was Maundy Thursday so as part of our Holy Week celebrations we had wonderful church services on Thursday and Friday, culminating in the beautiful Easter Vigil Saturday night and then the joyful Easter morning celebrations on Sunday.   I love Easter and the Easter celebrations at our church.  We always have a big reception on Easter Sunday morning, so I made a bunch of tasty Easter cookies.  I love the chance to get out and use (after polishing) my big silver serving tray since it doesn't get used for anything else.




And then to follow up on the chaos, on Sunday afternoon I drove to Albuquerque (about 8 hours), stayed overnight with some dear family friends, and then got up Monday morning to drive to Santa Fe where I had to drop off eleven pieces of my artwork for a show at the New Mexico State Capitol.   The show had been put of for two years due to COVID so I'm so excited it's finally opening. The show is a mixed media show with about seven or eight artists.  There's so much cool stuff. My car was very full!




These amazing honeycomb pieces are by Stephanie Lerma.  They're so cool in person.


It was wonderful to see good friends Gale Oppenheim and Betty Busby- Betty is the one who organized this exhibition.


I had to leave before the installation was finished, but hopefully next week I can share some pictures of the final show.




The Capitol is a beautiful building and had lovely blooming trees all around it!


After dropping the work off, I rushed over to another friend's house because I had a three hour zoom meeting before I had to drive back to OKC.  She has four small dogs that were delightful companions during the meeting.  Sadly I only got pictures with two of them.



And of course, mine were excited to see me when I got home,  I just love how angelic Spooky looks here.  In case anyone is wondering, he is not actually angelic at all. They're both currently a little miffed at me because I gave them baths Tuesday night.



As a final thing, this week I blogged about a small embroidery project I recently finished, click
here to read about it:






I hope everyone who celebrates had a special and meaningful Easter and for more things to like, just click over to LeeAnna's!



6 comments:

  1. beads! dogs! clean dogs! cookies! exhibitions... congrats and fun to see artistic friends again. All such good things, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you've been busy busy! Those cookies look great. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon! Your cookies look divine!! What a wonderful addition to the Easter celebration. I know better, Spooky is very often angelic - just look at that FACE!! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who, me?

    I JUST heard praise of Betty Busby as a teacher. It's nice to see that she facilitates the display of art, too. The exhibit looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Capitol is one of my favorite places to visit when I'm in Santa Fe. Now I want to make a trip, just to see the exhibition! Those cookies look delicious. So glad to hear that your parents are safe, but sad to hear of the loss of lives and homes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting excursion you had! The exhibition would be awesome to see. Your cookies look spectacular and for truly a wonderful season. Glad to hear your parents were safe.

    ReplyDelete