Monday, September 7, 2020

Busy Book, c. 1980

 Back in 2012 when Anna was born (that makes me feel old btw), my sister and I made her a small busy book (you can read about it here).  It was inspired by one my mom made for us back in the 1980-82 era which I've always wanted to share, but never got around too.  While updating my filing system last weekend I realized I had a folder of photos in the not-yet-blogged-about folder and figured it was time to share.

My mom is the most awesome of crafty moms anywhere (my sister definitely follows in her footsteps), and the ABC busy book is exhibit A.  It was well-used for many years and remains one of my treasured possessions.  I've always meant to mend the bits that need repair after so many years of play, but haven't ever gotten around to it.



It's covered in this raggedy Anne vinyl that is super cute and has held up really well.  

A is for Airplane, with a fun propeller that spins around.

B is for Banana with velcro peel to open and close.



C is for circus with a tent that zips and unzips.
D is for dinosaur with spikes to lace.  I remember lacing them in all sorts of weird non-spike patterns.  And those strawberry shoelaces are very 1980s in the best way.
E is for earring and taking on and off that big jump ring was one of my favorite parts!
F is for flowers that grow and shrink


G is for game, sadly all the little pieces are lost (they're supposed to velcro to those spots on the left). 
H is for hands, sadly the hour hand has become detached, so I need to repair it too.
I is for igloo-all of those ice cubes snap on and off, very fun to put them in the wrong places.

J is for jack in the box,good practice with buttons to open and shut his lid.


K is for kite and bow tying
K is for laces (and the other strawberry shoelace
M is for mirror, more practice unbuttoning the eyes in the face to reveal a mirror!
N is for nose- I loved making all kinds of weird shapes with the chain nose.



O is for owl whose eyes open and close
P is for pelican (who has also lost a few parts)
Q is for queen- her crown velcros on and off and her scepter is made from a Sonic corn dog stick!
R is for rabbit who goes in and out of the hat


S is for spiders with pipe cleaner legs to shape as desired
T is for trees with acorns that unsnap and hid in the trunk pocket
U is for ukelele, love to strum the elastic
V is for valentine with weaving ribbons


W is for wings that flap up and down
X is for Xmas with ornaments to take on and off and put in the trunk!
Y is for yarn and braiding hair
Z is for zebra- I love the key on a chain to shut him in and the gate that opens and closes and the red and white striped zebra.


I'm so grateful to my mom for all her crafty arty goodness over the years!

 

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I made one similar for older daughter but not nearly as neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure!! I can see a lot of your Mom in all these pages and now I know you a little better too.

    ReplyDelete