Thursday, September 24, 2020

I Like #182

Welcome to another week of things to like!


 This is a story of a farmer who was working on his land in Sweden when he found a giant stone.  He set it aside thinking he might use it for building and then a few years later needed it for something.  When he flipped it over, he found it was covered in what turned out to be 11th century runes!  When I flip over stones all I ever find are fossils.  So cool to come across something like that.  Read more about it here and here.


My flowers are going gangbusters right now, just the right balance of moisture and temperature, so that's been wonderful (except many nights it's dark before I get home from work so I can't enjoy them).




Giant Mushrooms popping up everywhere after the rain!


I wash my masks in a lingerie bag (I still call it a dunk bag from way back scout camp days), but even so they come out in a necklace knot!  That's about five masks desperately in love with one another and unwilling to be separated.


Blue and I walked at the lake again,  it was dryer this week (yay), but not we have a fair amount of haze from fire badness blowing east.  Absolutely nothing compared to the people in the west, but it led to a weird sun picture.


Blue stopping to scratch on the hike.  I let him off his leash for a little while since we have never seen a person out here.




.

At our online knitting meetup last week a friend shared a small needlepoint she made many years ago, and it reminded me of this one.  My mom (of wonderful busy book fame), made this needlepoint for me when I was born.  It still hangs in my bedroom.  It's a bit tricky to read,  the yellow thread has faded a bit and the background thread has yellowed a bit but it has my name a birthday and weight.  Love you mom!!



I hope everyone is hanging in there and finding some things to like this week!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like.

14 comments:

  1. What a mess of masks! So far that hasn't happened to us. Love your flowers (as usual) and the puppers! That runestone is cool! (and the comments on the blog are funny)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! Aww, what a sweet birth announcement that you've been able to enjoy even now as an adult. I love seeing the pictures of the pups and your flowers. They both look really, really happy. We've had a similar sunset in haze up here in Wisconsin - nothing to complain about though. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking near water and the lake is beautiful! I hand wash my masks...just dunk dunk and rinse it out. Enjoy your afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dahlias are beautiful. I haven’t planted any in years. Not enough room at this house. Love the sunset over the lake picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say that I hand wash my masks. I put them into my bathroom sink with hot water and a squirt of Tide. I keep a small travel size shampoo bottle for that. I swish them around then roll them in a towel to get out the excess water and dry them overnight on my towel rack. I have several masks so I always have a clean one to put on when I venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your flowers! You'll have to purchase a solar spotlight! Blue boy... milo is scratching from allergies to the smoke. Gray skies, dark during the day. Mask washing... I usually wash them by hand with dawn, one at a time. When they go in with laundry, they separate themselves luckily, but the cords are shrinking so my ears are squished I don't put them in a bag, just let them roam around the washer and dryer and so far so good...knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Shannon. Both my girls have similar cross stitched pieces with their date of birth and weight. That must have been a thing to do back then. Beautiful flowers and it seems you are working long hours. It is sad to see the fires and how far the smoke extends around the world. Walks with us is Murphys' favourite thing next to eating. Dogs are so happy you just have to feel happy too. Take care now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bouquet is so pretty! It is pretty amazing that you are seeing the smoky skies, too, but I guess it's going even further than that. I love your little cross-stitched piece that your mom made, and that you still have it hanging up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! Your flowers are GORGEOUS!!! We have haze from the fires over here in Pennsylvania even. Have a safe and happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty flowers to come home to each day! Blue is such a handsome fella. Not sure how you can avoid that tangled mess of masks. Our skies have cleared, but we had those smoky sun views too for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shannon, I just went back and read about those runes on the stone. What an interesting story. Right now we are watching Norsemen on Netflix and getting a chuckle out of it. They've invented rune sticks because the stones were too heavy to carry around, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand that Hazy sky. We have seen many of them, but living in the sticks helps cut down on pollution which brings bluer skies. Those fire skies are pretty sad though, and it amazes me how a far away fire really affects the air further away.
    Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We even experienced a couple of hazy sky days here. Your flowers are gorgeous. Do you dig up your dahlias for the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Blue! Is he a pit? My Rocco is a blue-nose pit. Nice to know you too have a nearby lake to walk along, and I love your flowers, dahlias, no? I need to grow them again, and zinnias.

    ReplyDelete