Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Glycocalyx Finished!

Earlier this week I talked about the construction of my most recent (yet still not very recent) large art quilt, and today I'm back to share the final pictures.

The piece is called Glycocalyx by which it is very loosely inspired. The glycocalyx is a protective layer of long carbohydrates/proteoglycans that lines the inside of blood vessels and other anatomical structures in the body.   It helps in cell-cell adhesion and recognition (for example for immune cells), as well as providing a reservoir for important extracellular enzymes and a physical barrier to help protect endothelial cells from direct exposure to shear stresses associated with blood flow.  All in all, it's a very helpful structure!



Of course, in my pieces the spiky furry layer is protruding outwards (rather than inwards), but I still think of it as a protective layer.  From a purely physical standpoint, the spiky layer is a barrier- every time I moved it or tried to hang it up, it poked me!  But it's also a metaphorical barrier- a reminder that having boundaries is important for our well-being.  While making it though, I also thought a lot about the value of community, and how too many barriers can impair that.  For me at least, I need a good balance of being alone and being with others or else I start to feel out of whack.

Glycocalyx, c. 2021 Shannon Conley, 48" x 48" x 20"

Anyway- I'm very happy with how this came out.  I love the half-tube shape that enables the spikes to radiate out in a partial circle.  I love the added texture that comes from the roving-wrapped wire, and I love the pinky-purpley colors.









The only things I don't love are practical.  It's four feet by four feet by about 20 inches, so it's very hard to move around, hard to transport, and is too big to ship.  Sadly that means it won't likely get to go to very many places in-person, but for now I get to enjoy it hanging on the wall in my bedroom.



 

5 comments:

  1. Once again you have made a piece that just blew me away! You imagination and skills are amazing. I hope you can get this in a show where you don't have to ship it. Is it very heavy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You come up with the strangest stuff! This is wicked cool. I love the colors and the shape and how you were inspired. (I learned something new!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this piece, Shannon! How creative. The colors and all the texture are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing piece! I love everything about it! Such great creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, great execution.

    ReplyDelete