Monday, September 18, 2023

New Smocked Quilt

 Earlier this year I flew out to Arizona to film an episode of The Quilt Show.  I was demonstrating my smocking technique, and painted a piece of white dotted fabric green to use in my demo. 


I quilted it up in all different colors, which for me is always a really fun part of the process.


Here are a couple of close ups of the quilting.




I finished the edges with couched yarn and did up most of the smocking, leaving some to illustrate on the show. Below is the smocking on the back.


However, when I got home, I didn't really care for it. Even though it looked like there were a bunch of different colors of green in the original painted piece, once smocked it just liked a really boring even green.

So I undid all the smocking stitches on the back and overpainted with some purple, yellow, and dark blue/teal to give some more color variety.

Come back later this week to see the final piece!




No comments:

Post a Comment