Thursday, April 16, 2020

I Like #160


Welcome to another week of things to like!

1.  I liked meeting up with Lee Anna and Sally via zoom this weekend, it was fun! Next time we will pick a non-weekend day for those that couldn't make it then.

2.  I liked virtual Easter church!  I started the day listening through some old recordings from our church choir at Easter and then had two Easter morning Zoom services, one with family, and one with some church friends.  I was really struggling about missing Easter worship, but we made it through!  I haven't seen another person face to face in a week, so at least seeing them on Zoom is good.

3.  I like the birds!  They eat at the birdfeeder outside my back door so I get to see them while working.  Unfortunately I can't ever get pictures, but their chirping reminds me that spring is here (in spite of three nights below freezing).

4. It made me really happy to move these window screens around.  There were no window screens on my bedroom window, because after a few times of taking them on and off to crawl in after forgetting my house keys over the last fifteen years (so bizarre), they'd gotten all bent up.  I don't crawl through the window anymore, and it's that time of year when I want to have the windows open (EXCEPT FOR THE STUPID THREE NIGHTS BELOW FREEZING), so it made me very happy to take a screen of an unused guest bedroom and put it on my bedroom.  Hooray!


5.  I love Jane Sassaman and her prairie gothic fabric line.  Jane is a pretty famous art quilter, but she also designs fabric.  This line is one of my favorites, but it's very old.  The other day though she posted on her instagram that she'd gotten a few bolts of these old prints up on her online shop.  Most exciting to me, they're home dec weight!  I bought a yard of each and I'm going to use the top one to make a new laptop bag at some point.  



6.  A good friend of mine who is in a local nursing home has tested positive for the coronavirus.  Luckily even though she is 90, she is so far one week out from the diagnosis and asymptomatic (amazing), but in the process of learning all this, I discovered that the nursing home was accepting masks, so I made a couple dozen more of those.


7. I like using things up! While digging through bins of cotton fabric (I don't use them very much), I found a bunch of already pieced red white and blue flying geese strips and a bunch of precut squares.  They weren't mine, and not really my colors, more sort of shabby chic red white and beige.  Just not my style!  But someone carefully pieced them and somehow they made it into my scrab bins (who knows how), so I pulled them out, made HSTs with the precut squares, and pieced up this top.  It's a weird size, about 38x55, but I'll quilt it up at some point and give it to someone.  Hooray for using things up!


8.  I love this tea bag mug!  My mom made it for my grandpa in 1987, and when he passed away I got it (along with a bunch of other pottery my mom had made for my grandparents).  My grandpa was a tea drinker, and my mom came up with these mugs that have integrated pockets for your tea bag in case you want to use it a second time.  I've been drinking more tea lately since it's been chilly and it made me happy to get out his mug and think of him!


9. I love the pups!  They're fine, and as part of a long-term big illuminated manuscript quilt project I haven't blogged about, I worked on their little mini portraits.  All 8 pets will be in it as little angels.  Here's Blue, he's hard to see in pictures because he's so grey.  They're all about 2" square, so pretty small.





10.  Being at home means I recoup commuting time, so I blogged about another one of my Kirigami quilts this week!  I love catching up sharing the backlog of projects;  I never feel like things are 100% finished until I've documented them here, and it's such a nice way for me to track my progress over time.  You can see posts about this week's quilt here and here!


I also blogged about a baby quilt I finished right before the chaos started.  It's for a friend of mine at work and I am praying for her and her baby!  I hope everything goes well with the birth!  You can read the post here if you want to see more!



I hope you guys are hanging in there and staying healthy!  Click through to Lee Anna's for more things to like!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing projects! I so love that baby quilt! That is a sweet block of your angel babies! Hugs! You inspired me so much today=--thank you! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found a way to worship on Easter Sunday, even if it was different! I'm sure you must have missed the sound of all the voices in your choir singing together. Have you seen those videos where people are singing or playing something together all from their homes? They are amazing! The prairie gothic fabric is so cool! And I love your project of Blue - I see that he had his ball with him, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon, I am hearing about all the church services now online which is really neat. I've not heard of Jane Sassaman but will check her out. I do like that fabric line of hers. Bold in form and colour. Your dog project is amazing. Going to be wonderful. Also lovely quilts you have made there. You are keeping busy and we couldn't get by here without the window screens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun baby quilt! Angel Blue! How Cool! The blue, purple and black thistles are very cool! Huzzah for screens! It was lovely to have company in my kitchen last week. So glad we were able to do that!

    ReplyDelete