Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Kirigami Quilt #2-Finished!

Yesterday, I shared the in-progress shots of my latest Kirigami quilt.  Today I'll share some pictures of the finished piece!  One interesting thing about this series is that I've really had to think about the order of operations, because once the piece is sculpted and stiff it's really hard to work on!  This typically means a weird assembly order and putting on "finishing" touches like the pocket and label somewhere during the middle of the process.  The colors on this were accentuated with Shiva Paintsticks and I really like their ability to add subtle variation and emphasize certain shapes.  Each triangle/chevron point is stitched down and then the shapes were stiffened with Golden Fabric stiffener so they stay pooched out.   I'm rally pleased with how this one turned out,  the fairly large cut shapes adapted well to fabric.  I also really liked how the color variation in the painted silk I put on the background played so nicely with both the dark front and beach back of the main piece.  



Kirigami #2, c. Shannon Conley, 2020.  32" x 18"  Photo c. Mike Cox





3 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with your work and this piece fascinates me! Thank you for sharing and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! This is SOOOOO cool. What a great technique and you did a fabulous job making it. Thanks so much for sharing the close up photos. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete