Tuesday, April 7, 2020

New Quilt: Kirigami #2

Here's another in my ongoing series of Kirigami Quilts!  Once again I started with plain fabric and painted it thwn quilted it.  I love the bright neon thread on the fairly dark rainbow background. And because the kirigami quilts depend are enhanced by contrast between the front and the back,  the back of the quilt sandwich is the peach/orange/red in the second picture.




This is the kirigami pattern I decided to try.  I liked the shapes made by the chevrons/triangles and it seemed sufficiently simple to adapt well to fabric.  I've enjoyed cutting paper mockups using my silhouette cutter.



Here you can see it after I cut it on the laser cutter.  I like the shapes, but didn't like the white showing through, so I backed the whole thing with a piece of silk I painted last fall.  


Here you can see the turquoise silk backing.  Like I have on previous pieces, I bound the edges using a couched yarn.  In this case, because the cute pieces were fairly big and simple in shape, I also couched the yarn along the edges of the cut triangles.  Come back tomorrow to see the finished piece!!









No comments:

Post a Comment