Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Paraboloid #2

Yesterday I shared my first attempt at a wooden paraboloid structure, and today I'm sharing another in this mini-series (of two).  The idea behind this one was the same, nested parabolas, with a couple of changes.  The first was the shape of the parabolas themselves,  these were much taller and narrower than the last set, giving a slightly different shape overall.  The second difference is that instead of using thread to attach/suspend the different pieces, I used some spools of faux suede that were in the magic Georgia boxes.  This resulted in the connecting strings having much more visual impact that in the previous one.  I was able to apply some things I'd learned from the previous version to make this one slightly easier to assemble, but it is still really hard to connect the strings so that the spacing is even and all the strings are taut.

Paraboloid #2, c. Shannon Conley, 2020

From some angles I think this one looks like an alien skeleton head or something which makes me happy!




No comments:

Post a Comment