Thursday, April 30, 2020

I Like #162

Welcome to another week of things to like.  We're still staying and working from home, and in spite of various things reopening here in OK, the university hasn't made official noises in that direction.  In general, I think people here are taking this a little less seriously than I might wish, but I was very pleased to see that at least half the people were wearing masks when I made my grocery trip on Saturday. Certainly many more than when I'd last visited three weeks earlier.  And of course a grocery trip Saturday means that the last few days have been full of fresh fruit and veggies and I've especially been enjoying the good asparagus.

Other things to like:

I like this hand soap my sister brought me on her trip to Newfoundland a couple years back.  I was excited to use up the annoying little sliver and get out this fresh bar.  It's designed to mimic the look of the row houses in that particular village, but I got a great laugh from the use instructions.  I'm not sure you can read them, but the label says: "To use: wet soap, lather on skin, and rinse."  I'd never have thought hand soap required instructions, but the proliferation of recent handwashing instructions clearly shows this soap to have been ahead of its time. 


Blue and I went walking around the lake this weekend.  The weather was nice, and even though there were other people out, everyone was generally very good about keeping distance from one another, so we had a nice walk.  Bentley got a short walk around the neighborhood first but he gets tired too fast for long walks.


I've been continuing my sort through of old pictures as part of a big digitization push and found this one of a very early hiking and camping trip.  In 1983, when my little sister was only about 8 months old, my mom and two of her life-long girl friends took all us kids on a camping trip to Yosemite. There were four little bitty kids ranging age from 8 months to about 5.  I'm the one in the pink tracksuit (some things never change) and was right around my third birthday, and that's my sister in the backpack with my mom.  My mom tells lots of great stories about the trip, including one where they almost missed the last bus out of the valley at the end of the afternoon and the three ladies had to pick up all the kids and run some large number of miles to make it in time.




I got my copy of the Vision 2020 catalog this week.  This show is touring around the US and Australia (or hopefully will be at some point) and is filled with cool quilts on that theme.  You can see a really nice online version of the full exhibition catalog here


I loved this mosaic piece.  It's irridescent

That's my quilt there on the left.


I kept quilting on my big illuminated quilt this week.  Here's an in progress shot showing my pumpkin dog.  She was a great big lug of a hound dog who one time stole my sandwich right out of my hand, but she died about ten years ago.


I also posted about two new sculptural experiments using wood this week.  You can see more about my paraboloids here and here.  I was grateful to cut the wood for these on the laser cutter right before the facility shutdown for quarantine.


I hope you're all hanging in there this week.  Please visit Lee Anna's for more things to like this week.


8 comments:

  1. how fun. Wow blue, gotta lotta teeth there buddy! How nice people keep distance... not here, we have to play frogger banking from side to side, sometimes waiting for them all to pass each other within a foot.
    Instructions for soap... really. Was there a warning not to eat it? Like don't use this blow dryer in the shower?
    glad you can work from home, wish dh could do all his work from home. Funny when he's home, I don't see him much unless I pass by the office, but it changes the energy and I'm not as frightened.
    your pumpkin stole a sandwich out of your hand!! lol, cheeky!
    LOVE the little you in a pink suit... you look the same girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Wow, instructions for using hand soap...never saw
    that before...Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo of Blue in the car! Thanks for the link to Vision 2020 gallery; how exciting to be in such a prestigious and vibrant show! I've been to the Visions gallery twice and both times left just "filled up."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that tongue on Blue, and he looks so happy! It is always so nice to stock up on the fresh fruits and veggies, isn't it? Your paraboloids are fascinating, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon! Oh, I just love that picture of Blue. He looks quite pleased with himself, either before or after the walk. It's nice, too, that you take Bentley and are considerate of his inability for long walks. I love hearing about your art inspiration especially the paraboloids! Very cool. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That soap is pretty - but it's adult-only soap? Blue looks thrilled to be out! How exciting to see your work in print! You're constantly neck deep into something new. It's always fun to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures of you and your mama at Yosemite. When I was very little my mom and I went to Yosemite with my dog Pete. We had a bear try to get into the tent. LOL your dog story, my parents had an English Bulldog, when my youngest was little it was her birthday, the cake only had one flower. So that was her piece. She got her plate, was walking to go sit down. The dog "accidentally" bumped her, the cake dropped, didn't even hit the floor and it was gone. She was so mad at him for eating her cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of great stories today! Really enjoyed your post! Can't wait to see the illuminated quilt!
    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete