Tuesday, April 14, 2020

New Quilt: Kirigami 3#: Open Windows

One tiny benefit of being cooped up with no ability to go anywhere is that I've found time to catch up on blogging about projects I've completed over the last several months.  Someday I'll catch up with the backlog and maybe get back to blogging about current projects!!  This is another in my Kirigami series.  This one started with this piece of painted fabric I found in the magic Georgia boxes.  She must have painted it sometime in the past, but it was the right size to cut up and I was glad to be able to use it.  I loved the colors and the strong vertical lines, so I tried to incorporate those into my cut pattern.  Below you can see the quilted sandwich.


This was my paper mockup for this piece but I decided instead of having peaks going on the left, middle and right, I'd have the peaks slowly transition from one side to the other.

Here it is after cutting and sewing the fold creases.  Because each cut bit was so skinny, and because of the general lack of rigidity in the fabric,  these pieces were extremely floppy. After playing with them for a while I decided there was no way I could get them to stand up like the paper mockup.  Fabric stiffener would have helped them stand up, but achieving the nice straight lines you get with paper just wasn't feasible.


I decided on an approach that still used fabric stiffener to give stiffness, but in which the segments were piled off to the side.  This way they could pile up on top of each other making it easier to sculpt.  Come back tomorrow to see the finished piece!




No comments:

Post a Comment